Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dragoncon 2009

Whelp, here we are again and the only major convention I go every year.
Dragoncon in Atlanta.
Attendance is supposed to be at a record high this year and I believe it. When the economy gets bad, nerds need to commiserate and wear funny costumes.
I go for the gaming and, every year, its seemed to get a bit better.
When I first went, all gaming was in the grand ballroom of the Hyatt. Its a huge space, no barriers, and dozens of big round tables. It was loud, poorly arrranged, and drearily lit.
Then, we moved to the individual banquet rooms on the same floor. It was somewhat quieter but still poorly lit.
From there, it was the bottom level of the Mariott, where the vendor halls used to be. It was pretty nice; quiet, relaxed and none of the rooms were too crowded.
For the past two years, however, we've been in the Hilton, and its a great change.
Granted, gaming is now a bit off the beaten track to the rest of the con, except for autograph alley and a few panels, but its really nice, with the scheduled games in nice rooms with no overcrowding and the open gaming area downstairs in a large open area.
Gaming isn't all I go for, as I have a regular weekly group, but I found that when I tried to see everything, I missed most things.
So, gaming is a touchstone for me and the rest is catch as I can.
Last year I got to stay at one of the host hotels. And, while it was expensive, it was certainly worth it. Nothing like taking a two hour nap and going down to the con to take pictures of all the great costumes, fully alert.
This year, I'll be staying farther out, unfortunately. I just can't afford the host prices.
I just have to keep positive that it won't ruin the experience.
Hope to see some folks there!

No comments:

Post a Comment